There are three responses to a piece of design
— yes, no and WOW!
Wow is the one to aim for.
– Milton Glaser
Hi, I’m Megan McGuire. I originally went to college to be a librarian. I earned my MLS and worked in both the public and school library settings. My most recent library position, at Monona Public Library, involved a lot of promotion and marketing of library events. I discovered I loved this kind of work but was frustrated by my limitations. Specifically, I wanted to work on my training in good design and the tools to create it. I enrolled in the Graphic Design and Illustration program at Madison Area Technical College and received an Associates degree in December of 2016. I was lucky enough to secure a job before graduation and started working in the Branding Department of ERDMAN Company the first week of January in 2017. Unfortunately, the company disbanded its Branding department 9 months later and I was once again on the hunt for a new position. While waiting for a position that is a good fit for my personality and skill set, I have started freelancing. I have a couple of core clients and pick up projects primarily on a word of mouth basis.
Graphic design is about solving communication problems – simply and elegantly.
I adhere to the belief that form should follow function and that designing in such a way will make an inherently beautiful product.
Mike Markkula, the second CEO of Apple, believed that you must be empathetic with your end user and create subtle touches that can only be appreciated by interacting with the design. He also stated that Apple aimed to “eliminate all unimportant opportunities.” In my mind a website or print piece that is hard to navigate and find needed information on, no matter how interactive or flashy, is ugly. Giving people too much is just as bad as not giving them enough. All features of a design should have purpose.
THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT ME
- I have excellent verbal & written communication skills, & the ability to work individually or in a team environment.
- I readily volunteer ideas and efficiently execute high quality work
- I excel in the use of Adobe Creative Suite, having knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, AfterEffects and PremierePro.
- I know production specifications for both print and digital media.
- I have a desire to create and exceed objectives consistently, including taking on extra responsibilities.
- I breathe the latest trends for marketing and am able to research and guide my team and clients on those trends.
- I am ready to learn and grow.
- I am highly organized, detail-oriented and thrive in a fast-paced environment, even without direction.
- I love animals – specifically my cats, dog and fish.